Friday 13 May 2011

Research

I research my projects extensively, and this one was no exception, however I have increasingly realised that the work itself inspires more research, and have always seen it as a reflexive activity, where the research can generate ideas, which translate into work, but then the work generates questions leading to more research.  Two texts which were of great interest to me in this project were, `The Language of Magazines` by Linda McLoughlin, and `Media Semiotics - An Introduction` 2nd ed. by Jonathon Bignell.  My CHC essay which looked at the association between crafts and activism also underpinned the research, with `craftivism` a word coined by the writer Betsy Greer in 2003, inspiring my work.  I also researched traditional embroidery techniques which would allow me to work in a creatively expressive way, to communicate new ideas and concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment